Its December already and as you look forward to taking time off to spend time with friends and family, I recommend just one thing.
Take 30 minutes of your time to update your CV!
This month: Update your CV
It might not seem like a traditional Christmas activity but getting into the habit of having a CV recap each year pays dividends:
- You can (just about) still remember everything you did since January 2015 – write it down!
- Capture the detail that matters, the numbers around the deals/ transactions/ claims/ estates or other matters that you have worked on.
- Have you had a new focus in terms of type’s clients this year?
- Have you joined any new networking groups, tried any new marketing strategies written or spoken about any legal topics this year?
- What new responsibilities have you taken on at the office? Managing people/ training others/ updating the website or writing a blog perhaps?
- What things are you proud of this year?
I always recommend that you can write a CV ‘long hand’. Then when you need to get it into shape condense it down before it is sent to another firm or perhaps used at your own firm in negotiating a promotion or pay rise.
Whilst lots of things are jostling for your time this Christmas take some time to keep your CV, the record of your career, up to date.
I know it is too early, but Happy Christmas! This year as in previous years we have made a donation to charity instead of sending Christmas cards. This year we have donated to Fresh Start New Beginnings a local charity doing amazing work.