Holiday season has arrived and summer is very much upon us! At this point in the year hopefully you will be getting a break of sorts if you haven’t already.
You spend every day thinking about the tasks that your clients or your employer need you to do, but what about the things that will ensure your career keeps moving in the right direction?
This Month: Assess your year to date
Why should your manager take the lead in reviewing your year to date and planning your achievements?
Whether or not your firm or organisation conducts reviews, do your own. Take 10 minutes (on the beach if you are lucky!) to jot down answers to simple questions:
1. How you think the year to date has gone: what things were you proud of/ key achievements?
2. What things do you wish you could change?
3. What you want to see happen in the rest of the year? (Objectives, give specifics, quantify)
4. What promises have your firm or organisation made to you this year to date?
5. Have they been fulfilled?
6. What commitments have the firm/ organisation made to you about the rest of the year?
Keep this note somewhere so that at the end of the year you can look at it again and assess whether you have achieved your objectives for your career.
Make sure your aspirations are being met as well as those of your employer.
Thanks for taking the time to read this email, any thoughts or feedback are always gratefully received; comments can be made on my website.
Enjoy the rest of the summer!